Sunday, January 13, 2013

{Latin Elvis} - Peanut Butter, Banana & Dulce de Leche Waffles

It's kind of ironic that I absolutely adore making breakfast foods, but if there ever was a day that I would skip a meal breakfast would most likely be the one I'd miss. 

It's not that I haven't paid attention in health class or watched one of the many info/brainwash "mercials" that declares breakfast the most vital and important meal of the day!



Yes, I do get it......but it seems that so many things are jam- packed into my mornings, that by the time I have a chance to stop it's 11:30 already and the window of breakfast opportunity has passed me by. 

But on those easy breezy mornings when I am finally on relaxed mode, I like to do my breakfast right! 



And when I do make breakfast it's usually go big or go home, maybe because I am subconsciously making up for all my unredeemed syrup soaked breakfast food possibilities.



But these precious days almost always involve lots of butter syrup, a thick rich bread of some sort and of course crisp crunchy pieces of bacon heaven. 

 This particular breakfast is a little bit of an ode to the " King of Rock & Roll" Elvis Presley,  I've always been fascinated with his innovative food choices especially his ever popular romance with peanut butter and banana sandwiches. 

 Here I give my take on the peanut butter and banana sandwich........ except I'm trading the white bread for a thick banana &bacon infused Belgian waffle.

Swept with creamy peanut butter than swirled with dulce de leche, dulce de leche is a creamy milk based confection prepared by slowly heating sweetened condensed milk. 

 It's the Latin equivalent to American peanut butter and in my eyes it's dessert royalty! I'm pretty sure that if Elvis was born in Spain he'd be eating dulce  de leche and peanut butter sandwiches......

 But since he wasn't I figured I could just kick  he's version of the sandwich up a notch and give it a Latin flair!




             Ingredients
 

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 ripe bananas
6 strips of crispy bacon ( you can cook extra strips to place on top of waffles if desired)
peanut butter- just enough to spread on each waffle, I used about 1/2 cup for 3 large waffles
dulce de leche- about 1/2 cup
 
 Optional ( you can make homemade banana maple syrup, by simply cutting a few slices and sticking them in a jar of maple syrup overnight. It gives the syrup a discreet banana taste that adds a little something extra to each bite).
 
                                                Directions
 
 
 
1. Preheat your waffle iron, cook your desired amounts of crispy bacon and set aside.
 
2.Mash two of your ripe bananas and set aside, you can also chop the other two bananas that will act as toppings for your waffles and set those aside as well.
 
3.In large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, sugar and salt. Add milk, eggs and oil mix well;
 
4. Now add in your mashed bananas and 6 slices of bacon crumbled into small bits. Mix until both ingredients are well incorporated.
 
5. Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter onto hot waffle iron cook until golden brown.
 
6. Once all waffles are cooked stick your peanut butter and dulce de leche in the microwave for about 45 seconds each, until they are easier spread.
 
7. Spread each waffle with alternating layers of dulce de leche and peanut butter. You can put as much or as little as you like.
 
8. Layer each waffle with strips of crisp bacon and use your last banana and cut it into slices.  ( I sautéed a few slices of my bananas in butter, but later decided I preferred them as they were)
 
9. Finally if you are a real " hound dog" for the sweets you can swirl on a little homemade banana maple syrup.  
 
And there you go breakfast fit for a " Latin King" ! 
                                                                  
                                                                                             

 
                                                            
 
 

 

7 comments:

Adorned From Above said...

Jasmine,
OMG!!! This looks so amazing. I'm sitting in an airport, thinking this would be delicious. Will you share this with this weeks party at Adorned From Above. It starts on Tuesday night and runs through Sunday night and the link to the post will be
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_15.html
Have a great day.
Debi

chica chocolatina said...

I would love to join your party, thank you!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

WOW! That is something else! My kids would *LOVE* it!

cookingvarieties said...

hi katherine peas, are you the same "give peas a chance " at bloggers.com before? if yes, how are you? its been a very long time.. glad to have you visiting my site.
if not, i would still say that i am glad to know you.
hmm, you prepared quite a hefty breakfast. i love peanut butter too and the banana of course. have a nice day.. hope we both can visit each other again

Jill said...

YUM!! That looks so gorgeous!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

This sounds amazing! I never miss breakfast (or any other meal for that matter), and this looks like a great one. Thank you so much for linking up at What's In Your Kitchen Wednesday.

Emily Thompson said...

oh wow, that looks divine!!! Thanks for linking up to Tasteful Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations. Can't wait to see what you bring this week.

01 09 10