Sunday, January 6, 2013

Marry Me, Cupcake- Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes

Although for some, the idea of packing up their last silver bell and unhanging their stockings and packing them away with care is a somber event.

For me it's a sign that my absolute favorite holiday is on it's way. I've had a "love affair" with Valentine's Day since?!.........


Well actually I have no idea when my infactuation with the national day of love began, but I do know that everything that it entails leaves me feeling warm inside and a smile on my face.   It's not so much the romantical idea ( I know this is not a real word, but I think I heard Snooki use it and I liked it!) of it all.








The whole having "El Hombre" of your dreams show up at your doorstep, whisking you off to an extravagant restaurant showering you with red roses and lavish presents like 25 karat diamond rings. Nope! that's not the reason for my obsession with Valentine's Day. It's more along the lines of almost all the store shelves blanketed with varying hues of red and pink which are my absolute favorite colors.

Hearts and sweet words of love on everything! Not to mention the chocolate! Ohhh yes the sweet, dulce, milk, dark, semi-sweet bites and boxes of caramel filled ways to show your love! LO AMO! ( I love it!). With those boxes of chocolate love come even more sugared-up dessert possibilities.  Like these Marry Me, Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes,  which are fluffy vanilla cupcakes swirled with a layer of vanilla buttercream, then a twist of pink cherry buttercream, drizzled with chocolate syrup, colorful sprinkles and a plump red cherry. Stuffed inside the cupcake is a strawberry ring pop.......... 


Well actually 5 minutes after I placed the ring pop filled cupcakes in the oven, I realized that what I would pull out the oven would be filled with an ooey gooey mess.  Ten minutes later.......Yup! I was right......the realization that the thin layer of cake batter wouldn't be enough to shield the candy coated ring pop from the molten hot temps within the oven!

Uhhh Duhh!  Anyway I still think that these can be super cute Valentine's cupcakes to give to your sweetie as gift or to bring to a school class.  Imagine their surprise when they take a bite and inside is an authentic sugared diamond, a Valentine's symbol of true love.

I assure you it will work this time, instead of baking the cupcake with the ring pop, just wait until they are out the oven and cooled.  Then you can just dunk the ring pop right in the middle of the cake and swirl your buttercream all around it.  Believe me this time it will work like a charm!




                                                                    
Adapted from Magnolia Bakery Recipe


                                                        Buttercream Ingredients

                                           

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
 
6 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
 
1/2 cup milk
 
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
 
1 jar of maraschino cherries
 
 1 jar of chocolate syrup-  I used Hershey's
 
  1 container of red or pink sprinkles
 
  Ring pops- as many as needed

                                                                    Directions    

  1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, 4 cups sugar, milk, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes.
 
      2. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating for about 2 minutes after each addition, until icing reaches desired consistency; you may not need to add all the sugar.
 
     3. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.        
 
     4. To make the cherry buttercream, separate a cup or more of white buttercream, add in 2 drops of pink food coloring. Pour in 1/4 cup of maraschino cherry juice and whip for 3-4 minutes until well mixed adding more juice to reach desired cherry taste.
                                                                  
 
                                                               
                                     Cupcake Ingredients                  

3/4 cup butter

3 eggs

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 3/4 cups sugar

3 teaspoons vanilla (add more for a super-vanilla taste)

1 1/4 cups milk

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
 
                                                                    Directions                                           

1. Stir together the salt, baking powder, flour

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter in an electric mixer on high for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat until combined. Continue to beat and add the eggs. Beat well and add vanilla.

3. Add part of the flour mixture then part of the milk, then beat on low. Repeat until all of the milk and flour mixture have been added. Combine and spread batter into cupcake pans. Be sure not to over mix your batter.

4. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the cupcakes are golden brown and toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool for at least 15 minutes.

5. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled it's time to stick in your ring pops, 
6. Next, grab two piping bags and fill with vanilla and cherry buttercream. Alternately swirl each flavor onto your cupcake.
 
 7.Drizzle cupcake with chocolate syrup, colorful sprinkles and plump cherry. You can package these up in pretty red or pink boxes and serve them with MUCHO AMOR!
 
                                                

15 comments:

Rita said...

Wow, Oh Wow! Those look heavenly! I love Valentines also for the red and pink everywhere! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

So cute! Love these!

Found you at The Real housewives linky party ;)

Shirley Hudson - Hudson's Holidays said...

Gorgeous cupcakes!!! Love them!
Shirley

chica chocolatina said...

Thank you!

Ladybird Ln said...

THis looks so delicious and messy, I just love it! Thanks for showing off!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

Anonymous said...

These are GORGEOUS!

Mariel said...

So fun! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there!

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!! these look amazing! I hope you stop by to link on Tuesdays: http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/01/link-party-2.html
Nancy

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea. These are so cute. Also, I sort of want to faceplant in that buttercream icing. Thanks so much for linking up at What's In Your Kitchen Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea. These are so cute--and I sort of want to fact plant in all that buttercream! Thanks so much for linking up at What's In Your Kitchen Wednesday!

Kira Sanders said...

Jasmine,

All your recipes are beautiful & so colorful. Love your Blog! I'm your newest follower via GFC. Come visit me at My Sesame Seed Buns sometime!

chica chocolatina said...

Gracias, Kira and I appreciate you following my adventures! I would love to visit your blog!

JaK said...

Holy smokes! I'm with Ashley. I definitely want to faceplant in that buttercream! You should enter these in the Cupcake Crown contest: http://www.celebrations.com/cupcakecrown/

Heather Lloyd said...

Everything you make is so beautiful, I can hardly believe it! I look forward to reading your blog tons in the future.

Unknown said...

I mayhave missed it but how many cupcakes doe this make ;)

01 09 10