Saturday, September 8, 2012

Oaxaca Quesadilla Pie

I have never been one to seek out savory desserts, something about the sound of  tomato cheesecake and green pea honey ice cream that evokes that familiar look of distaste that forms on the face of a picky five-year old when you sit a chopped liver and onion sandwich on rye bread with a side of broccoli filled Brussels sprouts, and a great big glass of V8 to wash it all down.


Yeah, do you see how that sounds?! Okay, so you will understand why, I will always pass on Great-Aunt Martha's Swiss Chard, Raisin & Pine Nut Tart.



Recently, I came upon a cute little mini pie maker and made these amazing mini Mexican Apple Pies, but honestly I haven't touched it since.  Last weekend my middle chica was asking for tacos for breakfast, now of course I love my Mexican food....but just not at 8:30 in the morning.

I took a peek in the fridge and I did have tortillas,Mexican cheese and pico de gallo salsa, then it came to me that this was the momento perfecto to give my new pie maker another try. So that's exactly what we did, and came up with these tempting little Quesadilla Pies.

The creamy taste of the hot ooey gooey cheese, the tang of the spicy pico de gallo salsa and the crisp bite of the tortilla was enough to give me a little hope for a new relationship with savory desserts! Well....... at least a fond relationship with Quesadilla Pie, it's going to take a lot more time to get me to eat a Tomato Cheesecake...yuck!♥

This pie was super easy to prepare and so quick to make, a perfect on the go breakfast. My chica at one point even stopped using her fork and started taking bites right to the pie, think of it as a bigger and cuter hot pocket.  A dollop of sour cream on top of the pie,assures every bite will receive some of the creamy stuff!


Oh btw, Heather over at girliechef is hosting a Bake Your Own Bread Event, which features bloggers and all their yummy bread recipes.Technically I didn't bake these tortillas myself, but tortillas definitely are part of the bread familia and these pies are way too delicious not to share!   I will though put homemade tortillas on my " to do list", until then here is the recipe for pure yummy!

Ingredients

Goya Pico de Gallo Salsa or any other great tasting salsa
Oaxaca cheese or mozzarella cheese
1 package of flour tortillas
sour cream


Recipe

♥ Cut Oaxaca cheese into shreds using a grater so that it can be easily sprinkled into the tortilla molds


♥ Cut tortillas into large and small circles using the dough circles or you can even use circle cookie cutters, just make sure they are a sufficient size to keep the contents inside. Also this is the time you can cut a shape into the top of the tortilla (like a star)32. I heated up my tortillas in the microwave for about 45 seconds to make them soft enough to push down into the pie molds. 

♥ Place pie bottoms into each mold ( these should be the larger of the 2 circles) fill each tortilla bottom with

♥ Heat pie maker, when ready  sprinkle in alternating layers of cheese and salsa, (light on the salsa, a little goes a long way) pile the salsa and cheese high enough so once the top tortilla is placed on top, it's high enough so that it will reach the top of the mold, but not so full it will ooze out the sides.

♥ Once the tortilla is filled, place the smaller tortilla on top, ( I like to spread mine with a little butter on top) close the lid and wait for the green light when ready.

♥. Once all the pies are down, add a spoonful of sour cream grab a fork and Enjoy!

1 comment:

Heather S-G said...

These sound delicious...and I love how fun the cut-outs on top look! And you're right...tortillas are definitely a flat bread! =) Thanks for sharing them.

01 09 10