Friday, December 28, 2012

Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cookies

As the New Year approaches we all start thinking about change, what will we aspire to accomplish? what we hope to give up? what we want to begin?  So many aspirations, hopes and rules we place on ourselves starting on the same day. January 1st for many is "El Dia de Esperanza" The Day of Hope, a fresh start, a day of endless possibilities. 


I am guilty of coming up with lists of changes and goals destined to be completed before the New Year, many of which.......actually ALL of which I think I may have given up on or forgot about by the second week of January ( the 13th of January which is actualy Make Your Dreams Come True Day, which when I read this I thought it was ironic and kind of a pathetic thought to think it only took me two weeks to forget about my goal. 



Anyway I reassured myself that we're all human and rules are made to be broken....Besides there were also things that I accomplished that weren't on my list of "resolutions" which had to account for something....Right?  However for the very first time in my history of New Year's Resolutions I actually followed through with one for the whole entire year.  You want to know what it was?........


Well it was actually keeping up with my blog, and with more than 50 new entries each spanning through every month of this year I happily realized that I had finally succeeded in my goal of actually following through with my resolution and it felt AMAZING! 


Although hurricanes and holidays slowed down my posting a little at the end of the year, it never did stop me. So I plan to go into 2013 muy feliz with my accomplishments from last year, and eager to see what's in store for this one! So while your waiting to ring in the New Year, why not have a spicy sweet treat by your side?!  I know I will........ these Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Cookies make great company!


These cookies are really super simple and easy to make if you use any ready made gingerbread and chocolate chip cookie dough found in your grocer's freezer.  Or you can give these recipes a try, or use your own if you some!


This gingerbread recipe actually yields more dough than you need, you can always freeze and save the left over dough or mix it into ice cream for an extra yummy treat!


                                                                               Ingredients

1/3 cup shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups dark molasses
2/3 cup cold water
7 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon


                                                                          Recipe
In a large bowl mix the shortening, sugar, and molasses together thoroughly, either by hand or with a mixer. Then stir in the water.
Stir the flour mixture into the molasses mixture until well combined.
Cover the bowl, and chill the dough for at least two hours (or overnight).


                                                          Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

                                                                        Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
 
 
                                                                   Recipe
 
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy.

Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wood spoon.   Once done refrigerate with the other cookie dough for two hours or overnight.

Once you have both cookie dough prepared you can either roll both doughs equally into one ball or you can do it the way I did. Which was roll each cookie dough into a ball and kind of smoosh one on top of the other.

Next place the balls of cookie dough on cookie sheet at least 3 inches apart.  Bake 12-15 minutes and take them out when the look a light golden brown color.

Leave them to completely cool, then grab a great big glass of leche (milk) and ENJOY!
 

 

5 comments:

Six Sisters said...

Thanks for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday with your delicious cookies! Have a Happy New Year. -The Six Sisters

chica chocolatina said...

Why thank you for hosting, Happy New Year to You!

Unknown said...

oh i would love one of those cookies! Yumo! I would love to have you link to my Show Me Your Plaid Monday's
http://www.pandpkitchen.com/2012/12/30/show-me-your-plaid-mondays-4/

chica chocolatina said...

Thanks for the invite ladies!...and of course the follow as well :) I would love to join your fiesta!

Unknown said...

Have a Great New Year! Thanks for Linking up at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's! You have been Pinned! I hope you return each week!

01 09 10