Sunday, February 3, 2013

Red Velvet Twinkies

Red is my absolute favorite color, and chocolate is my numero uno.........



so the moment I found Red Velvet I was totally in love! 


Some may describe red velvet cake as just chocolate cake in a red dress, but to me it's so much more. The taste is not so much a chocolate, but more of a cocoa.


It's a moist cake that's not really sweet at all, but slathered with cream cheese frosting that's tangy and sweet enough to keep you licking every mordita (bite) from your plump little fingers.


In honor of Valentine's Day and the untimely passing of the Hostess Twinkie, I decided to transform this southern classic cake into an conveniently portable iconic snack food. 







With a white chocolate drizzle, deep red sprinkles and a sweet gummy heart an American classic is brought back a la vida ( to life) in the warm comforts of your very own kitchen!


Obviously you'll need a Twinkie pan to bake in, if you don't already have one you can purchase them here.



Because I was super excited to just get to the good stuff, I decided to use a Duncan Hines Box Mix.  I was actually pretty happy with the results, the cake came out nice and moist yet firm enough to hold the filling inside.  If you must have a scratch cake recipe here is one to try courtesy of the
Food Network.

Although I occasionally use a box mix, I rarely if ever use a canned frosting.  I am a frosting chica and I love a little cake with my frosting if you know what I mean.  I could do frosting shots all day if it wouldn't send me into sugar shock!

                          


                                                               Cream Cheese Filling Recipe
 
 
                                                                       Ingredients
 
4 tablespoons butter, softened
 
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
 
4 cups confectioners' sugar
 
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
 
 
                                                                       Directions
 
In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together until blended. With electric
 
mixer on low, beat in the powdered sugar a little at a time until well blended. Beat on high speed until
 
smooth and creamy.
 
                                                           Red Velvet Twinkie
                                               Directions
                                                                     
1.Follow the directions on the box of your cake mix or scratch cake recipe. Add your cake batter to the Twinkie mold filling the cake wells 1/2 way. 
 
2.Once your Twinkies are completely cooled, fill an icing bag with a tip and on the underside of the Twinkie insert the tip and squeeze in the filling.
 
3. Melt 1/2 cup of white melting chocolates then with a spoon quickly drizzle the white chocolate back and forth over each Twinkie.
 
4. Shake sprinkles over the white chocolate and immediately place your gummy heart in the middle of your Twinkie.

5. Sit down, enjoy them and wonder how Hostess could ever let anything so wonderful slip out of their pretty little fingers!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Just saw your link over at Flaming Toes link party and thought I'd stop by and check out your recipe.

I'd love for you to stop by my weekend link party that is still going on @The Weekend re-Treat

Hope to see you there!

Rita said...

These are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Turnips 2 Tangerines said...

These are so darn cute!! I never heard of a twinkie pan....but guess what, I plan on buying one asap! Your pictures beautiful. Stopping by from Mix it up Mondays! Lynn H @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

Emily Thompson said...

wow, those are some red desserts :o) So festive!!! Thanks for sharing at Tasteful Tuesdays this week! Do you sew or know someone who does? I have a fabulous pattern sale (18 patterns for under $25) and giveaway going on right now.http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/02/sew-fab-e-pattern-sale-and-giveaway.html

Sara @ CleverPinkPirate.com said...

Oh, yum! These look amazing! Stopping by from SNAP.

Unknown said...

Holy cow! These should be illegal. YUM!

Unknown said...

These look delcious! I love me some red velvet cake.

I'd be tickled if you'd link up at this week's Off the Hook!

Anonymous said...

I'm always hungry when reading this late at night...haha!! These look amazing. I hope you stop by to link. My readers would love to see this recipe.
http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/02/link-party-6.html
Nancy

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Well, YUM! What a fun recipe for Valentines or any day! Thanks for sharing your twinkie and linking to Tempt My Tummy.

Jocelyn said...

What a fun and pretty twist on the Twinkie! I actually have one of those twinkie pans in one of my cupboards...I should get that out sometime soon!

01 09 10