Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mexican Challah Grilled Cheese

You may not know this but I'm a culturist......yea, I'm not quite sure if that is a "real" word or just a term that I invented in my head? Just in case this is purely made up my me, I will clarify a little bit about what I'm trying to say. 


I am very fascinated by different cultures, they intrigue me, I love hearing people talk about their lives spent and growing up in different countries. The things that they ate, the things they would never eat, but perhaps they do now because it's part of life here in America. I love hearing about the fiestas, parades and holidays that are celebrated at certain times within the year. For example, my oldest hija (daughter) came to me and demanded that I watch the new show on TLC called "Breaking Amish".


We sat there intently and watched as they illuminated there homes with hanging lamps activated by lighters, absolutely no electric appliances anywhere in sight. We listened as they spoke in awe of having ice made in a convenient machine that produces buckets full of ice on que, no need for them to wait for the " ice man" in order to make their purchase.  She and I questioning the fact that many of them spoke about being "shunned" just for having a video camera in town, both of us keeping tabs of how many times they each said the word.


The amount of times so significant that we decided " being shunned" on their fear scale was the equivalent of the terror we would feel if we went to the bathroom in the middle of the night on Friday the 13th.  Looking in the mirror as your washing your hands then seeing Freddy Kreuger's knife ridden hand lunging at you, out of shear panic you loose your balance fall backwards into the shower right into Mike Meyers arms!......, soooo maybe this is just a little bit over dramatic but a horrendous thought none the less! 


Alright, so back to the show.... by the time the end credits rolled, both of us took a look at each other and said" Let's be Amish"! Obviously we weren't serious......we equally like modern conveniences way too much, and were not ready to trade in our skinny jeans for long black wool skirts. 

However, where some may shy away from these type of experiences, not so willing to openly accept anything different from their own "norm". I run to the experience, to the newness the difference the opportunity to see the world with different eyes and maybe learn a few new things all at the same time. 




Last weekend their were two big cultural holidays: Rosh Hashanah- the beginning of Jewish new year and El Dia de Indpendencia ( Mexican Independence Day)- Mexico's celebration of their independence from Spain.  I have amigos queridos ( dear friends) from both cultures that tell me so much about how they celebrate these days. Their stories influenced me to make a little something of my own inspired by los dos culturas ( both cultures).


It's an avocado, queso fresco, tomato grilled cheese with spicy chipotle mayonessa, I used Challah bread ( a Jewish braided bread, eaten on the Sabbath and during holidays), and all the colors in the middle of the bread represent the colors of the Mexican flag. 


Coincidentally, the idea for this sandwich came just in time for the I Heart Cooking Clubs entry of the week, which included recipes from Ricky Bayless which would be great to have in your lunch box on the go! This one is Perfecto ♥

Viva Mexico &  Shabbat Shalom ♥


Ready for another recipe easy as: uno, dos, tres? .....Well here it goes!


Adapted from this Rick Bayless recipe, I think next time I may add a little chorizo and a few black beans to make it even more of a Mexican Grilled Cheese de verdad!
Ingredients

loaf of Challah bread
1 ripe avocado
queso blanco or chihuahua cheese
1 tomato
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp of adobo sauce
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 tbsp of butter

Ok, primero (first) the recipe for the Chipotle Mayonnaise

Directions

  1. In a food processor or blender, combine the mayonnaise, chipotle chilies, and adobo sauce. Pulse until smooth and well blended. Store in the refrigerator until needed


Ahora (now) the sandwich!


1. Slice your avocados, tomatoes and your cheese, set aside on a plate nearby

2. Heat your non-stick skillet to 325 degrees

3 Cut two slices of Challah bread, be careful not to cut them to thick or it will be more difficult for the heat to get to the insides to melt the cheese before the bread browns. Lightly butter the outside of the both slices of bread with butter.

4. Next, place one side of bread butter side down in skillet and stuff with avocado, tomato and your cheese. At this time you can take out your Chipotle Mayonnaise and spread some on your other slice, then place on top of your sandwich.

5. Cook on each side until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown ( my cheese didn't melt, queso blanco has a taste like mozzarella but it doesn't melt the same, if you want a melting cheese you can use chihuahua cheese) slice and Disfrutalo! Enjoy ♥







6 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh my, that looks so good! I've been meaning to try queso blanco but hadn't quite figured out for what yet... this may be the recipe to try it with!

NKP said...

Delicious lunch fare! I love that you married Jewish and Mexican together. Brilliant!

chica chocolatina said...

@Nicole if you try it, let me know how you like it! ♥ @ Natashya I love when two cultures can come together, thanks for the compliment! ♥

Deb in Hawaii said...

Such a unique sandwich and it looks positively decadent and mouthwatering too. ;-)

Emily Thompson said...

Oh wow!! That looks amazing! I want to be eating that right now!! !ThANKS FOR linking up to Tasty Tuesdays at Nap-Time Creations! DO you have a place where you have link parties listed? I did a quick look and didnt see any... would love to see a link back :o)

chica chocolatina said...

Thank you for the sweet comments!

01 09 10